I have has a site that was sitting around in the bottom half of page one for a number of terms. And during this summer it really took off. There have been a number of changes made to the site and I just quickly wanted to highlight a few actionable steps that you can do now to increase your site traffic
1. Deep linking, this does not only apply to building backlinks to deep pages, but also applies to making sure that your site does not contain orphan pages, and there is a breadcrumb trail for the spiders to follow. For reasonable sized websites I would highly recommend http://www.screamingfrog.co.uk.
2. Anchor text variation. I have now stuck with a 25% EMD variation, it used to be a lot lower, however I am finding that 20-25% seems to be the optimum.
3. 301 redirects. Its simple they work, even doing a redirect from a completely irrelevant domain, works. Especially if that domain has natural backlink and AGE. 301 redirects to money site or internal pages of money sites is one of the quickest ways to rank. You can use drivers also and, this is achieved by doing a 301 redirect and then building 300 to 400 webs 2.0 tiers to the sited being redirected. This seems to add an extra umph (though its short lived)
4. image links, yeah you heard me get image links!! they are HOT they seem to be really helping this particular site rank.
5. Relevent Tiers, Tiers are here to stay. But relevant tiers are harder to detect and better for SEO of the future!
let me know your thoughts